What to Eat, Where to Find it, and Why
A Healthy Lifestyle is incomplete without the proper Nutrition!
Learn the “how’s” and “why’s” of the Paleo Diet and how it can get you not only looking and feeling good, but looking good on paper to your doctor too. Please inquire, as we schedule these based on interest.
What to Eat
The 5 Rules of a Nutritious Diet
1. Eat Real Food. Essentially, your diet should only consist of real food from animals, plants and the earth and made in a kitchen, not a factory. The ingredients list should not have more than 5 ingredients (as a rule of thumb) and those ingredients should be items you would normally have in your kitchen.
2. Eat Clean Food. Eliminate the crap. Different than eating real food, here we establish that the highest quality food is the most nutritious and therefore most beneficial. Choose organic and/or locally grown produce; grass-fed beef; pastured chicken/eggs and pork and from humanely treated animals; raw, unpasteurized dairy products (actually more safe and more nutritious than processed dairy). Eliminate all processed foods, additives, preservatives, pesticides, antibiotics & hormones.
3. Go Paleo! “Meat, veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar” is a phrase coined by Robb Wolf. Eliminate grains permanently for 30 days. If you don’t feel better or look better, you cheated and ate grains. This is one of the best ways to improve digestion, health, and autoimmune cases. Eliminate sugar, but occasionally, include raw honey or maple syrup because a little unprocessed sugar is okay once you have reached your health goals. Lastly, try eliminating dairy. This works especially well for leaning up, but if tolerated, raw, unpasteurized dairy as well as ghee can be very nutritious!
4. Forget about low-fat, counting calories, and fad diets! Fat is nutrient dense, provides energy… and it makes everything it touches absolutely heavenly. Throw out everything you knew about fat 10+ years ago and add these fats to your diet: lard, tallow, schmaltz, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, fish oil and fatty fish such as salmon for omega-3’s. Counting calories is just plain insane. Instead, learn to listen to the signals of your body when its full. Notice how you feel when you eat a meal complete with protein, carbs from veggies and real fat… you should feel satiated for 3-5 hours and energized (given that you did not over eat which will cause fatigue no matter how well you ate). And finally, give up the fad diets and just eat real food with positive lifetime habits.
5. Embrace nose to tail eating. Yup. Eat all of it. Liver, heart, kidney, marrow, bone broth. To most everyone in the US this sounds gross, but remember there is AMAZING nutrition in all of these parts, and I can bet that if you’re not eating these, you’re missing out on some essential nutrients. Additionally, it is a sign of respect from the animal that gave it’s life to save yours.
Where to Find it
1. The local farmers’ market for fresh veggies and fruit, free range poultry/eggs and grass fed beef (depending on availability), downtown at the Bo Diddly Plaza on Wednesdays from 4-7pm, the Alachua County Farmers’ Market off 441 and 34th street (highway 121), and Haile Farmer’s Market Saturdays from 8a-12p.
2. If you miss the Farmers’ Market, Wards carries a ton of local organic produce, free range poultry, grass fed beef and other natural foods.
3. Northwest Seafood offers fresh and wild varieties of fish. Sign up for their e-mail list and they will inform you of specials.
4. Florida Fresh Meat - Local, Grass-Fed, Pasture raised, humanely treated, antibiotic and hormone free! It doesn’t get any better than this.
5. Mother Earth Market sells some quality supplements (Barleans Fish oil, Udo’s Probiotics, vitamin D, etc), organic produce and various health foods (organic oils, organic nuts in bulk and other paleo friendly foods). Every Thursday they offer 10% off your purchase!
6. Trader Joe’s (Butler Plaza) has some organic produce at REALLY GREAT prices.
Sites to Visit- Leaders in Primal Living:
Check out Robb’s book “The Paleo Solution” by Robb Wolf
The Paleo Diet, Robb Wolf and the CrossFit lifestyle- see the report on ABC’s Nightline!
Find out how one man used the Paleo Diet to control his “incurable” Type 1 Diabetes here!
The Curious Coconut has amazing recipes and SCIENCE!! Plus, she is a local gal with an insanely successful paleo blog.
Mark’s Daily Apple- an all around great source for all things Primal.
Mandi’s Personal Story from a Vegan mess to athletic Paleo-ist… find it here
To contact Mandi with any questions or to schedule a Nutrition Coaching session, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org